How to Help the Downtown Rochester Community during COVID-19
Posted on March 23,2020
Last updated: May 15, 2020
As information regarding COVID-19 continues to evolve, the Rochester Downtown Alliance will serve our community by sharing resources and information that may be helpful. Here are ways you can help support the Rochester community, both downtown and throughout the city.
- Support local
- Our small businesses are the heart and soul of downtown. Support local business as you can.
- Physical distancing is important. But so is being a good neighbor. Introduce yourself and offer to help your neighbor—either those who aren't comfortable leaving their home or those may need assistance—in getting groceries or the essentials. Slip a note under the door with your number and an offer to run errands, if needed.
- Be a voice for kindness, positivity, and collaboration. Support those who are doing good.
The United Way of Olmsted County is hosting a master list of public volunteer opportunities in the community in response to COVID-19.
- Financial contributions: Most organizations are working overtime to meet unprecedented needs in the community. The United Way of Olmsted County and the Rochester Nonprofit Consortium may be able to direct you toward the cause that most resonates with you.
- In-kind donations: The donation of goods is generally being discouraged because of transmission risks. Please consult organizations' websites before attempting to donate. Cash donations will be most useful in most scenarios. There are a couple exceptions:
- Laptops: The Rochester Area Youth Tech Foundation is providing laptops to students who do not currently have access to technology at home. If you have computers that are in relatively good working order, have a power cord, and are from the year 2000 or later, please consider bringing it to:
- RPS Technology Support Services
3018 40th Ave NW
Rochester, MN 55901
- Hours of operation: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Contact John Bartucz at email@example.com to arrange a pick up.
- PPE, face coverings, and masks: If you are interested in making masks, please contact Zumbro Valley Medical Society, which is centralizing collection and distribution of fabric masks.
- Blood donations: Mayo Clinic Blood Donor Program is still in need of blood donations. Please contact them directly for more information.
- Seek assistance
- Social service hotlines: The contacts below keep a full list of all social service resources available in Rochester.
- Food assistance: Channel One Regional Food Bank is leading coordinated efforts in Rochester and meals are being distributed through Rochester Public Schools, the Salvation Army, and WIC, among other organizations. Start here for more information.
- City services: The City of Rochester has set up a COVID-19 hotline, which is staffed from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. Call 507-328-2822.