This week I thought I would do something a little different. Inspired by the excellent “Humans of New York” blog, I spent last week’s market getting to know some of the people who were strolling through Thursdays on First & 3rd. It was fun to step outside of my comfort zone and get to know some of the community we have here in Rochester.
1. Wayne Flock runs the Rochester Lefse Co. at Thursdays on First & 3rd, although his involvement with the market goes back to the very beginning. After attending outdoor markets in the Netherlands, Flock felt that the Rochester community could use something similar and started the weekly markets 12 years ago.
Jane: “Why did you think Rochester needed Thursday on First & 3rd?”
Wayne: “I was young. I was in my 20s. I thought that we needed to change this downtown to make it more people friendly [Thursdays on First & 3rd] is beautiful. It’s part of the city. It should be a part of the city”
2. I ran into Nicole on the corner of 2nd St. and 1st Avenue, where she told me this was her first time exploring Thursdays on First & 3rd.
Jane: “What are you doing right now?”
Nicole: “I’m on my lunch break. I work at Starbucks. It’s super busy on Thursdays”
3. This group of girls was waiting to get henna tattoos. When I asked them what the best part of Thursdays on First & 3rd is.
4. Jason Pottorff may be a familiar sight on the corner of 2nd Street and First Avenue where he offers Tarot readings.
Jane: “What’s the best part about doing Tarot readings?”
Jason: “The connection you make with people. Everyone who comes for a reading is a stranger and you become close, at least for the time you are doing the reading [...] Whenever someone dedicates themselves to helping other people, the Holy Spirit helps them find the words they need to hear [...] I try to nudge them in a direction to keep them from being hurt in their lives.”
5. Arman and Behshid were enjoying some popcorn on Peace Plaza when I caught up with them. They enjoy tasting all of the food available from local restaurants at Thursdays on First & 3rd.