DJs, disco vibes, outdoor roller skating...groovy, baby! It's all part of Roller Disco October 9-10. Let's roll into some of the frequently asked questions so you can get psyched for this new event in downtown Rochester.
Times: 2 to 10 p.m. October 9 and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. October 10
Yes, as long as they are roller skates or in-line roller blades, not speed skates.
I don't have skates. Will there be rentals at the event?
Yes, there will be free skate rentals with 120 different sizes available (smallest kids' size is 10 and up to size 14-15 for adults).
Do I need tickets or to make a reservation to skate?
Roller Disco is a free event and does not require a ticket or reservation. The rink will be available on a first come, first serve basis. Skaters will have 45 minutes on the rink and the rink will be limited to 60 people at a time.
What are the rules of the rink?
1. Don't bring hockey sticks or pucks onto the roller floor.
2. Don't skate backward.
3. Don't figure skate.
4. No more than two skaters should join hands and skate. Chain skating is not permitted.
5. No cell phones or personal music devices are allowed.
6. Skate in the direction of other skaters.
7. Obey the skate guard.
8. Don't play tag.
9. Everyone on the roller floor must wear skates.
10. Children 10 and under must be accompanied by someone 16 years or older.
11. No racing or speed skating is allowed during public sessions.
12. Skating across traffic or cutting in front of other skaters is prohibited.
13. Eating or drinking is not permitted on the roller rink surface.
14. Jumps and spins are not permitted during public sessions.
15. Beginner skaters should skate along the sideboards.
16. Carrying people or articles is not allowed.
17. Do not sit on, lean over, or leave articles on the fence.
18. The roller rink and the Rochester Downtown Alliance are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
19. Every skater must sign a waiver onsite stating they won't hold the rink and rink employees responsible in case of accidents.
Can kids skate?
Yes! Kids ages 10 and younger need to be accompanied by someone 16 or older. There is also a dedicated teen skate time from 2 to 6 p.m. October 9 and family skate time from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. October 10.
Will there be skating aids?
Yes, the skating company will have skating aids to assist attendees. For those who are novice skaters, it is recommended to stay on the outer sides of the rink to use the rails for support. The Med City Roller Derby team will also be doing a basic skating techniques demonstration and be available for questions throughout the event.
What else should I bring?
If you feel more comfortable, bring knee/elbow pads and/or a helmet. There will be branded merchandise and curated vendors with items for purchase, so cash or cards are recommended, as well.
What else is there to do at Roller Disco?
Throughout the Roller Disco experience, enjoy live DJs (click here to find out who), a 3-D photo booth, a selection of curated vendors, and branded merchandise for sale. But the main attraction is outdoor roller skating! View or download a Roller Disco map of all the activities here.