Parklet and Sidewalk Cafe Grant
The Parklet and Sidewalk Café Grant program is aimed at assisting downtown bars, restaurants, or community organizations looking to construct a sidewalk café or parklet structure.
Available grant funds
- Grant funds may be used to pay for up to 50 percent of the costs associated with design, rendering, construction materials and labor for building a street café or parklet structure.
- Applicants must also match 100 percent of any funds received from the grant.
- The maximum amount of grant funding a business or organization may receive is $10,000.
- If an applicant is approved for funding, approval is given as a “not to exceed” amount. So, if an approved project’s final receipts are less than approved amount, the grant payout will be half of the resulting total.
Administration of grant
- The grant is administered by the Rochester Downtown Alliance on behalf of the City of Rochester.
- Funding decisions may take up to five business days and are based on review by a subcommittee appointed by the City of Rochester.
- Awards are considered on a “first-come, first serve” basis.
- Grant funding will be provided as a reimbursement to approved applicants after work is completed.
- Paid invoices for approved work must be submitted to the RDA 90 days after completion of work.
Use of grant funds
Grant funds may be used towards the following items:
- Design and rendering services
- Construction material needed to build the parklet or sidewalk café structure
- Labor costs to build or installed the parklet or sidewalk café structure
Matching funds may be used towards any of the above items or the following for the parklet space:
- Tables, chairs, and other seating
- Artwork or informative displays
- Other items that will be used in the parklet space, when approved by the sub-committee
- The applying business must be located within the downtown special service district.
- Applicants who have been approved or are in review for a Sidewalk Café permit by the City of Rochester may apply. If the sidewalk café is located on private property applicant must obtain and submit written approval from the property owner.
- Applicant must comply with all municipal and state codes and regulations; permitting must be secured prior to grant fund dispersal.
- Apply for the grant online by clicking here.
- With your application, please include:
- A copy/verification of a Sidewalk Café Permit application from the City Clerk’s office.
- Estimates for any construction or design work for which you are requesting grant funding.
Contact Karli McElroy, RDA director of operations, at 507-216-9883 or email@example.com.